Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Foo Gwai Chinese Restaurant [6153]



As an Australian Eurasian, I've enjoyed eating Asian food for as long as I can remember.

Going out for dim sum (not to be confused with the fish'n'chip staple, the dim sim) for Saturday or Sunday brunch is as normal to me as heading down to the pub for a Friday arvo drink for the blue-collar crowd.

In the past, it was mainly Asians who populated Chinese restaurants and the general vibe I got from those around me was that Asian food was "gross".

Over the years, Asian - as well as other ethnic styles of cooking - have slowly been incorporated into the West Australian diet.

Now, many a gwai lo can be seen ordering har gow and sui mai on a Saturday and Sunday morning.

Asian food has consumed en masse with open maws and fork and spoon.

Young, attractive Asian women have long been welcome by West Australian men.

Hotted up Jap sports cars aka "riceburners" are also all the rage.

I look forward to the day when Asia in general will be as accepted as the above.

Additional information: Wikipedia entry on dim sum

No comments: